• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

UAD v10.2 - Hitsville Reverb Chambers Official Q&A with Will Shanks!

Matt Hepworth

Master of the UADiverse
Forum Admin
Welcome to the Official UAD 10.2 Hitsville Reverb Chambers Q&A with Will Shanks!
Please limit the scope of questions in this thread to developement, function, sound, and use. Thanks!

===

UAD Software Version 10.2.0 — November 8, 2022

New UAD Plug-Ins from Universal Audio

Billy Pilgrim

Hi Will! Congrats for this release, looks stellar :)
Is this the same technology that was used for the creation of Capitol Chambers?

Matt Hepworth

Master of the UADiverse
Forum Admin
Hi Will, thanks for doing this Q&A! Can you give us a sense of what was involved in the creation of this? Time machine? ;)

DanButsu

Administrator
Forum Admin
Oh my this is really sweet on vox at near lowest decay, just for a wee bit of size, but also adds presence. I have this meditation VO that I am working on, and the artist's post COVID voice is more frail and less open, with less power... adding just like 2~3% Motown echo at the lowest-ish decay really gives some life back... perfect timing for the release :D

I'm just thankful that Berry Gordy's sister talked him into not selling the houses so that she could create a museum. Everybody I know who worked there considers it the best sounding small studio we ever experienced. It took working elsewhere (in my case Wally Heider's) to fully realize how good it is. Something inside me screams at the thought it's a museum and people aren't still recording there.

John Windt, our shop foreman, took the ideas behind RCA's studios in the mid 1960s and applied them to ours. The RCA design was all about clean, really good sounding bleed. This meant, among other things, we could record vocals with the microphone much farther back than in most studios without losing presence. As a result, we needed way less compression than is typical with really close miking.

The console in Hitsville was the first I'm aware of having multiple (3) echo send busses. We often mixed combinations of the two chambers and the plate while soloing the return. The first chamber was 2648. John says he didn't know much about chambers so that one is somewhat of an accident. The 2644 chamber is a more traditional design that we used more like our EMT plate. The sends were typically filtered and equalized. We also had a Fender tape echo, an Echoplex and a Binson Echorec that could be patched in front of a chamber. That's not to mention an unused 7.5 or 15 tape machine.

John restored the chambers in their different incarnations for UA and both of us were present for the final modeling and testing. It was amazing to hear that sound once again. It's even more amazing to be able to adjust the microphone positions and the balance between the drivers in the plug-in. I hope people enjoy it.

Daveporter33765

Established Member
Motown produced some of the most loved recordings of all time…there was a reason! Not only did they record some of the best songs ever written, but the artists were some of the most talented and skilled of all time…and the recordings were made in one of the best sounding studios every built by some of the greatest producers and engineers! Thanks UA for bringing the Motown Studio sound magic to us for our use!

Will Shanks

Universal Audio
No Time Machine needed. These chambers are still housed in the Motown museum in place.
You've heard them on records, but these chambers have not been in use since 1972! Maybe you mean you've taken the tour? Yes, at one moment in the tour, volunteers can sing directly up into the 2644 chamber through an open access panel! This is essentially how our partnership with the Motown Museum began: One of my colleagues took the tour on a trip out to Detroit while visiting family. He came back to HQ super excited having heard the chamber, saying "it's instant Motown sound, we need to partner with them..." etc. I had no idea until that moment that the chambers were still intact. I'm also really glad the house became a museum. Hitsville’s Studio A fell out of favor as more modern facilities were built elsewhere in Detroit, and eventually Motown relocated to Los Angeles. I think if the house didn't become a museum, it would have ended up getting sold.

Will Shanks

Universal Audio
Hi Will! Congrats for this release, looks stellar :)
Is this the same technology that was used for the creation of Capitol Chambers?
Yes. But there are a few advancements/differences. What may present as Lo/Hi EQ are actually controls for the two sides of a crossover. This allows for incredible tone shaping beyond simple EQ. This is true for 3 out 4 of the driver configurations, Bozak, JBL and Altec. Bose is a full range system. When using Bose, you're controlling the emphasis filters that came with the Bose 901 speaker system. The other difference is with 2648 / Chamber 1, the default mic position is the nearest to the drivers; Compare to Capitol, which is the furthest. But really, this is just a reflection to each product's design, and the way each chamber was set up by each studio. Related, Chamber 2 / 2644 allows for moving the mics closer to, or further from the drivers.

Daveporter33765

Established Member
Yes. But there are a few advancements/differences. What may present as Lo/Hi EQ are actually controls for the two sides of a crossover. This allows for incredible tone shaping beyond simple EQ. This is true for 3 out 4 of the driver configurations, Bozak, JBL and Altec. Bose is a full range system. When using Bose, you're controlling the emphasis filters that came with the Bose 901 speaker system. The other difference is with 2648 / Chamber 1, the default mic position is the nearest to the drivers; Compare to Capitol, which is the furthest. But really, this is just a reflection to each product's design, and the way each chamber was set up by each studio. Related, Chamber 2 / 2644 allows for moving the mics closer to, or further from the drivers.
It’s this level of detail that differentiates UA from other plugin developers. Thanks to Will and the entire UA development team, the internal and external beta testers, the entire UA team that I’m sure gave input and played major rolls in shaping the plugin development, and everyone I missed…this is a great plugin!

Daveporter33765

Established Member
Will, how did you and the development team design this plugin to be so processor efficient? It appears to be exceedingly efficient in its demand for DSP or native processor power! Even stereo presets with long lush reverbs barely use any processor power! Long lush reverbs of high quality and low processor demands do not normally go together in my experience.

Ruddalert

You've heard them on records, but these chambers have not been in use since 1972! Maybe you mean you've taken the tour? Yes, at one moment in the tour, volunteers can sing directly up into the 2644 chamber through an open access panel! This is essentially how our partnership with the Motown Museum began: One of my colleagues took the tour on a trip out to Detroit while visiting family. He came back to HQ super excited having heard the chamber, saying "it's instant Motown sound, we need to partner with them..." etc. I had no idea until that moment that the chambers were still intact. I'm also really glad the house became a museum. Hitsville’s Studio A fell out of favor as more modern facilities were built elsewhere in Detroit, and eventually Motown relocated to Los Angeles. I think if the house didn't become a museum, it would have ended up getting sold.
This is just brilliant Will! I took the tour a couple of times when I went over to the US (I'm in Hull, East Yorkshire, UK) and had the pleasure as a 'Brit' in front of a dozen or so Americans to 'sing up into the ceiling' (I chose to sing My Girl). I had goose pimples when that sound hit my ears! It was every Motown song right there coming back at me, the colour, the feel and not least the memories. ! I said for some time that it would be great if someone could capture that reverb sound and now this... a big well done to you and the team!

Geoff Waddington

Established Member
I'm Canadian, as you know Bob, CKLW was huge in driving the Motown sound onto the charts up here, a lot of stations all across Canada followed the CKLW lead !

The "Toronto Sound" leaned very heavily on the Motown sound !

As a young musician, I grew up loving the Motown vocal sound, thanks for the tips on micing distance and reverb/chamber usage !

Last edited:

Kirk Degiorgio

yes, i've taken the tour - more than once. Its like a pilgrimage!

UAD Bundle Month