Unforeseen Compatibility Issues-Can you revert from Sonoma to Ventura on a Mac Studio?

AFX

UAD has inadvertently nudged me to upgrade my software if I wanted any of the newer plugins. The problem was more the native plugins. I was unable to get them on Mojave which was so stable for me.I love my beloved 10 year old 2013 Mac Pro Trashcan, but when I upgraded to Catalina so I could get all the native plugins, Boom!
All my old firewire to thunderbolt Satellite's stopped working. Incompatible. So now I had to make the decision of go back to Mojave with no Native plugins. I wanted the native so I kept Catalina and sold the Satellites i had, which took quite a while.
There have only been only a few audio projects that would bottleneck my system. Video rendering was a little bit hair pulling.
So I decided to suck it up and purchase a Mac Studio M2 Max. Spend 2 days getting all the software and plugins installed properly.
But wait, theres a problem, the computer keeps restarting when the display goes to sleep. Kernel Panic, problem saying " there was a problem with your computer and it restarted". I got on chat with Apple and spoke to 3 different support staff. We checked all the drives for errors, but that was ok. We tried a complete reinstall of Sonoma. Same issue restarts after going to sleep. Then they directed me to an apple senior advisor, they gave me a whole list of things to try, but nothing. Then a 2nd senior advisor came into the picture. This guy was super knowledgeable, we tried many things and then decided to start from scratch. Removing all peripheral's from the computer (about 15 or so), and see if the issue continues. Remove everything and the issue disappeared. So I started literally 1 by 1 connecting, removing, restarting, trying to create the same issue. I got through everything with no issues, except for the last item. The Apollo Twin X, my main Daw Interface. Although it was a certified cable from anker, I was wondering if that could be the issue, so I went out and bought an official Apple Thunderbolt 3 cable $58 + tax. Tried it again, unbelieveable still the same issue. After countless hours of research, the issue is that the Apollo Twin X is not compatible with Sonoma. The back and forth of update, but your going to lose this, or update but you have to buy this, is not conducive to my way of working. I want to get this working properly, but I'm not forking out any more money for another Apollo Interface. So my question is, is there a way to revert back to Ventura? Are there huge improvements differences between the 2 OS's? And if Ventura was the way to go, is there a way to load it and not wipe out my system which took about 26 hours installing and configuring. I've got 2 days to return this Mac. I already have probably 84 plugins from UAD so way too invested to get rid of all of it. Any insight would be truly appreciated.

AFX

Hello, If you have a backup of the current system, you can format the hard drive, install Ventura and copy the important information, although I would recommend a clean installation from scratch.

That said, many of the similar problems that I read here come from because they let the MAC's "sleep" and these problems occur at those times, when they are going to "sleep" or when they return.

I would try to disable any tab so that the MAC cannot "sleep" at any time, neither the screens, nor the hard drives, nor anything, it works for me.

I hope that helps.

LesBrown

Hall of Fame Member
the Apollo Twin X is not compatible with Sonoma
Apollo Twin X is fully compatible with Sonoma.

As Vicente "Tete" Ferrera mentioned: Turn off the Apollo when you aren't using it, or don't let your Mac sleep. It's a known issue with Apollo and some other interfaces and devices, and it has been a problem for a long time.

AFX

Hello, If you have a backup of the current system, you can format the hard drive, install Ventura and copy the important information, although I would recommend a clean installation from scratch.

That said, many of the similar problems that I read here come from because they let the MAC's "sleep" and these problems occur at those times, when they are going to "sleep" or when they return.

I would try to disable any tab so that the MAC cannot "sleep" at any time, neither the screens, nor the hard drives, nor anything, it works for me.

I hope that helps.
Vincente thank you so much . Im going to give that a shot.

AFX

Apollo Twin X is fully compatible with Sonoma.

As Vicente "Tete" Ferrera mentioned: Turn off the Apollo when you aren't using it, or don't let your Mac sleep. It's a known issue with Apollo and some other interfaces and devices, and it has been a problem for a long time.
Hey Les Here's what the UAD website says:

Apollo Twin X and Apollo x4 System Requirements
System requirements for Apollo Twin X and Apollo x4
For complete compatibility information, visit help.uaudio.com
All
:
  • Thunderbolt 3 or 4 cable (not included)
  • Internet connection to download software and authorize UAD plug-ins
  • 10 gigabytes available storage
Mac:
  • Available Thunderbolt 1, 2, 3 or 4 port
  • macOS 10.15 Catalina, 11 Big Sur, 12 Monterey, or 13 Ventura
  • Thunderbolt 1 and 2 connections require an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter (not included)
Windows:
  • Available Thunderbolt 3 or 4 port
  • Windows 10 64-bit edition or Windows 11

only supporting from Catalina to Ventura?

AFX

Hey Vicente and Les, I had got the messages too late before wiping out my system but I did reinstall Sonoma and turned all the sleep stuff off and there are no issues with it. When I need it off I turn it off. thanks for both of your expertise!

AFX

Hey Vicente and Les, I had got the messages too late before wiping out my system but I did reinstall Sonoma and turned all the sleep stuff off and there are no issues with it. When I need it off I turn it off. thanks for both of your expertise!

AFX
I'm glad you solved it, happy to help!

Reactions: AFX

AFX

One more question Im contemplating. I do mostly audio but will be doing more video soon. Im sure with the specs of my mac studio they should be fine? Or do I foolproof the machine and opt for more not to run out of resources in the future because there are not updates for cpu or memory, only when you purchase. Current specs is this:

Apple M2 Max with 12‑core CPU, 38‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
64GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage

Im a little ticked for that money the 2 front usb-c ports are not thunderbolt compatible, only in the Ultra version

AFX

AFX

The ultra is too much money but was thinking maybe the 2TB drive and 96 meg of ram instead of what I have 1TB and 64 mb of ram,

UAD Bundle Month