• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Wake up, UA!! It's your call

dusty

Hey,
how ya'll doing? i've been busy lately, but i'm back with some thoughts!

it seems to me that the folks at Ua are driving slowly on the fast lane.

Liquid mix, Waves SSL, Duende, URS, Tritone digital, Mc dsp are giving some stiff competition to you guys..

I mean on my last post \"let's give some ideas to UA\" a lot of folks ask for

-A better and improved channel strip(come on guys you think that people still want use the old UAD CS with all the better option available?)

-Either a Native solution/firewire/GB lan UAD-2 with MORE PROCESSING POWER. If a were you i'd go for a native solution w/ ilok dongle. I think The new mac pro won't have problem to run UAD plug ins.

-A Mc Dsp analog channel like plug w/ tape EMU plug in. If you can't make a great sounding tape plug in, then no one else can do it. I thinkMc Dsp nailed that plug in but i'm shure you can do better. And we have enough Compressor/eq for the moment. Come up w/ something new. Btw thanks for the Neve buss comp! That's something we all needed!

Trace

I think UA is currently working on new hardware, but its really not an easy thing to do. I can't think of anything that's come out that is blowing it out of the water using some new technology.

In terms of plugs, I too for years have asked for a HIGH END Channel Strip plug. One that would cut down on the number of trips thru the PCI bus. Its pretty much the top of the chain in terms of DAW plugs I use.

I still don't know about the whole Native thing, cuz when i'm running all my VSTi's, low bufffer settings and a high sample rate, I don't care what CPU you're using its gonna be a lot to ask for it to run UA plugs too. We still need DSP.

TRACE :)

Giles117 DP

Now that I am jumping to a mac pro in a few days (having finally sold my G5) They need to move swiftly. I am so plugin lonely right now.....

Natives would have been nice.....I think. LOL.

MAC Only with some kind of dongle?????? Seeing that they still havnt crack ilok on a mac. Just Windoze....

I dont know, Just feeling plugin neglected due to my own fault. LOL.

dusty

Yeah trace, maybe Native isn't the way to go. I'm not(yet) a owner of a mac pro.. eventually i'll upgrade in a near future. But i'm wondering if a dsp is still worthed , when there is a a 8 core hi hend mac down the pipeline..

As for the channel strip(Neve maybe?), they should really make a revamped version of the ol' Cs1. But to tell you the truth, i'd like to ear a UA tape/analog console emulation. I think that Ua should also get more \"licenses\" of hi hend analog outboard maker ( like the did w/ neveand roland). Maybe sturder?? Api? Eventide? Definately the way to go novadayz.

zerockstar

That would be great: an external firewire dsp soultion which i can use also on my laptop (macbook, by the way) when i'm mobile, and where i can load my songs i do on the G5 and expand the resources of my (only 1) UAD card.
I'm reading through online catalogs for such a solution...duende, powercore, waves etc....but then i say: why buy another brand while you're satisfied with UA?
An external UA-Firewire solution with some fancy new (voice or so)channel strips would definetely be great!
Does it look complicated?

Resonant Alien

I'm not saying improvements wouldn't be nice, but let's cut the UA guys a little slack shall we? They have been releasing a new killer plug nearly every quarter for the past 2-3 years, and they recently (finally) put out the PCIe card we were all bitching about....OK I'll admit I was disappointed that it didn't come with any performance improvement, but....

I'm sure that UA is working on the \"next gen\" platform. They don't make a lot of noise like some companies do about upcoming stuff. They are typically pretty quiet until it's ready to drop - just like they did with PCIe.

I too would love to see a new channel strip plug and tape emulation. OTOH, in the past 18 months or so, UA have given us the Precision Mastering suite, the Roland Chorus suite, the Neve EQ, and are now working on the Neve buss compressor and Universal Binaries for MacIntels. I dare say that their software guys and gals are pretty f-in busy right now.

On the channel strip issue: I don't necessarily see a need for a brand new plug acting as a channel strip since you have 1176, LA2A and soon Neve compressors, plus Neve, Cambridge, and Pulteq EQs. What I do think would be useful is a \"build-your-own\" channel strip that looks and acts like a single plug (i.e. single trip to the PCI bus), but allows you to select your own compressor and EQ modules from the existing plugs. That would be much cooler to me than a \"Precision Channel Strip\" or such. Think about it - you could have a channel strip made up of an 1176 with a Neve EQ, or a Neve Comp with a Pulteq EQ......ahhh we can dream...........

As long as we're on the subject, I would like to see UA strike a deal with API and release plug versions of the 550B EQ and the 525 Compressor, or even the 2500 buss compressor.

And yes, I'll be happy when the new platform (whatever it is) arrives......

Anyone want to sell their PCI UADs????

Trace

Resonant Alien said:
I'm not saying improvements wouldn't be nice, but let's cut the UA guys a little slack shall we? They have been releasing a new killer plug nearly every quarter for the past 2-3 years, and they recently (finally) put out the PCIe card we were all bitching about....OK I'll admit I was disappointed that it didn't come with any performance improvement, but....

I'm sure that UA is working on the "next gen" platform. They don't make a lot of noise like some companies do about upcoming stuff. They are typically pretty quiet until it's ready to drop - just like they did with PCIe.

I too would love to see a new channel strip plug and tape emulation. OTOH, in the past 18 months or so, UA have given us the Precision Mastering suite, the Roland Chorus suite, the Neve EQ, and are now working on the Neve buss compressor and Universal Binaries for MacIntels. I dare say that their software guys and gals are pretty f-in busy right now.

On the channel strip issue: I don't necessarily see a need for a brand new plug acting as a channel strip since you have 1176, LA2A and soon Neve compressors, plus Neve, Cambridge, and Pulteq EQs. What I do think would be useful is a "build-your-own" channel strip that looks and acts like a single plug (i.e. single trip to the PCI bus), but allows you to select your own compressor and EQ modules from the existing plugs. That would be much cooler to me than a "Precision Channel Strip" or such. Think about it - you could have a channel strip made up of an 1176 with a Neve EQ, or a Neve Comp with a Pulteq EQ......ahhh we can dream...........
Resonant, you're bringing up the much sought after chainer plug in. We've been asking for a user configurable channel strip for a LOOOOOONG time. UA knows that we want this, but as we've kinda figured out UA has to come out with the sexier plugs 1st. A chainer is a functionality plug and not a plug they can sell. They have to give priority to the money makers.

That's why some of us said we'd even accept a fixed Channel Strip based on the classic analog emulations they already have. Just to make it easier for them.

TRACE :)

UAD Bundle Month