• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

What to buy.. lead me in the right direction?

gordono

Ive read just about every review on all these products. I'm either going with 2 uad cards, i dont have any yet. Or, Waves classic bundle. Im leaning towards waves because i read this thing about load balancing crap and waves i hear is more gritty and distorted.. which is good since im working on hiphop rnb. Anyone have any input?

bulls hit

Why not pick up a used uad-1 on ebay and try it out.

Demo the Precision Maximiser and the 1176LN if you want some harmonics & grime. Even the free CS-1 chanel strip can be abused quite readily

neil wilkes

Venerated Member
gordono said:
Ive read just about every review on all these products. I'm either going with 2 uad cards, i dont have any yet. Or, Waves classic bundle. Im leaning towards waves because i read this thing about load balancing crap and waves i hear is more gritty and distorted.. which is good since im working on hiphop rnb. Anyone have any input?
Yes.
Lots of input.
Waves may get some people excited, but they do nothing at all for me. They are certainly much more expensive when you get right down to cases with the dreadfully pricey Waves Update Plan. Lots of people have installation issues here too.
UAD score heavily for vintage type sound, as well as modern sounding "Ultra-Clean" stuff.
For real grit, you need look no further than the 1176LN compressor - this is extremely fast, and can be smooth but will also deliver the grittiest grit you will find outside a gravel quarry. It's great.
The low end you will doubtless be looking for also comes "Built-in" w2ith the Pultec EQ. The bass on that puppy is nothing short of thunderous - you can drive both cut & boost on the same frequency & end up with a really tight sound because of the different slopes.

Given the choice between Waves Mercury & a dual UAD-1 setup, I'd go with the UAD every time.

RWIL

Established Member
neil wilkes said:
Given the choice between Waves Mercury & a dual UAD-1 setup, I'd go with the UAD every time.
+1. It is addictive..., be carefull! 8)

neil wilkes

Venerated Member
RWIL said:
neil wilkes said:
+1. It is addictive..., be carefull! 8)
Certainly is.
Just went up to my 4th card, although only 3 are in the main DAW.
It has been described by a friend as "Worse than Crack".

gordono

getting 2 cards on ebay! thank u. watch with my luck after i get it the uad2 will come out the next day. :p

neil wilkes

Venerated Member
gordono said:
getting 2 cards on ebay! thank u. watch with my luck after i get it the uad2 will come out the next day. :p
There is almost certainly no UAD-2 in the forseeable future.
As has already been pointed out, the MPACT-2 in the UAD-1 cost well over $50,000,000 to develop. UA do not have that kind of money, and these sort of chips do not crop up on the cheap all that often.
And when you get right down to it, the current card will deliver - in a multi-card system (like PT Mix cards, or whatever) the UAD-1 system is still very powerful indeed.
You can - assuming 2 cards at 44.1KHz, get the following:
18 stereo Neve 88RS Channel Strips
26 mono Neve 88RS Channel Strips
24 (!) mono Fairchild, 12 stereo
See http://www.uaudio.com/support/software/UAD/charts.html
for details.
Now double this lot up to a full 4-card system and tell me it is underpowered. Where else will you get the equivalent of up to 20 full Neve 1073 EQ for the money? or 64 of the 1073 SE versions.......

UAD Bundle Month