• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

What to do with my $500 voucher?

vinc

I have just bought the Flexipak and Im not sure which plugins I should buy.
Of course I will try all of them during the demo period, however Im also interested in other opinions.

At the moment I would buy:

Fairchild 670
LA-2A
Cambridge EQ
Neve 1081?

Conrete questions:

How is the difference between the normal an the SE versions? Im not sure about the 1176LN, the SE version of it is included in the Flexipak.

What is the difference between the Neve 1073 and 1081, what do you prefer? I need a good eq espacially for guitars (acoustic and e) and vocals.

If I buy a neve eq is it also necessary to buy the cambridge?

Vinc

Fundy

Established Member
The SE versions are almost identical however use less DSP power, usually in the way of no upsampling beyond 48Khz and dithering whereas the full versions do therefore the more DSP power used.

That aside, this doesn't mean the SE versions are bad, it just means the full versions are even better and you can run more instances per UAD processor with the SE versions.

P.S. Not all plug-ins use lower DSP versions.

All the Neve plug-ins do.

(As corrected by Akis)

Are currently the few that do, as far as I can remember.

If think Roland Space Echo SE would be good if they made a lower DSP version.

robi

The first plugins I'd buy still are:

- 1176LN
- LA-2A
- Fairchild 670
- Plte 140

These are the basic must have, imo. The thing is, you can grab a Mackie card quite cheap these days and they come bundeled with LA-2A and 1176LN, so this might be the best deal if you do not have them.

To above mentioned I added:

- Dimension D
- Neve 1073
- Pultec Pro

and will buy Neve 1081, soon. On the others I pass.

Try all the demos and judge for yourself would be the best thing to do, I think.

dusty

about you give it all to me? :D

Jokes aside, you should get the 1073(i like it over the 1081 cuz is faster and easier to use), plate140, la2a, 1176. You'll have to add some $$ but it's worth!

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
I purchased these, with my first Flexi voucher....
1176LN
LA2A

2nd Flexi
Followed it up with the Cambridge, 33609,1081

I use Waves IR-L ....... for Verbs...

Next purchase will be Mastering plugs.

I'll second dusty on the 1073 over the 1081 for the first purchase..

Demo my friend... demo..

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
Fundy said:
All the Neve plug-ins do.
LA-2A

Are currently the few that do, as far as I can remember.
There's no LA-2A SE.

Fundy

Established Member
Thanks for bringing it to my attention..must have been a Fraudian slip.

wishingwell

Don't even play around with that money, go right for the Neve bundle :)

P.S. It boils down to what your arsenal needs the most, if your in diar need of reverbs get plate 140 or dreamverb, if you need a precise eq then get precision, etc etc.. but if most of your needs are already met, get the Neve 8)

Fundy

Established Member
Bear in mind though, the Neve plug-ins will swallow up about 1/3 of your UAD processor unless you use the SE versions. They sound great but eat CPU.

NuSkoolTone

Established Member
robi said:
The first plugins I'd buy still are:

- 1176LN
- LA-2A
- Fairchild 670
- Plte 140

These are the basic must have, imo. The thing is, you can grab a Mackie card quite cheap these days and they come bundeled with LA-2A and 1176LN, so this might be the best deal if you do not have them.

To above mentioned I added:

- Dimension D
- Neve 1073
- Pultec Pro

and will buy Neve 1081, soon. On the others I pass.

Try all the demos and judge for yourself would be the best thing to do, I think.
+1. With the exception of the Neve, ALL of the stuff above I use regularly. I haven't tried the Neve stuff yet out of fear for my wallet really.

The 1176LN vs. SE is apples to oranges difference to me. Very different flavor. I'll use the SE if I want something a little more transparent with similar behavior. The LN when I want some 'Tude. Getting an old Mackie Card is a great idea.

Personally I prefer the Precision EQ over the Cambridge for my uses. The Cambridge has a very usable sound, but can get a bit Boxy IME. Though Bid differnece in DSp between the two.

afone1977

have all plugins , but i think :

- 1176 LN
- Fairchild
- Plate 140
- Neve Bundle
- Precision Bundle

are optional must have plugins

Cambridge EQ is an amazing tool with Pecision bundle to filter frequencies for several parallel treatement during pre mastering

dreamverb, not so different of realverb, and plate 140 is the only amazing reverb i try (except convolution reverb)

Roland/Boss Bundle contains beautiful emulation, but the sound is very particular

UAD Bundle Month