• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Win XP Pro or Home? Do I need Pro?

Hi there,

i'm just building a new DAW and asking myself if i need XP Pro or is home also ok for a DAW? I do only music with the computer. I want to use 3 sreens (Matrox P650 triple head upgraded) and a dualcore CPU (4800+/a8v deluxe). Is win xp home compatible with 3 sreens and dualcore athlon x2?

Thanks for your help

Chris

secretworld

Yes home is enough. you do need pro for dual (physical) processors.

secretworld

ignorance at the time I bought it :lol: :lol:

nico

secretworld said:
Yes home is enough. you do need pro for dual (physical) processors.
but he wrote:
"I want to use 3 sreens (Matrox P650 triple head upgraded) and a dualcore CPU (4800+/a8v deluxe)"

so he will need XP Pro ! :wink:
I have a dualcore CPU (4800+/a8v deluxe) too and I bought XP Home because I didn't know that XP home does not support dual processors... too bad :-(

secretworld

no please home does support dualcore, not dual processor!

thanks for the link - i already knew it. but it doesnt say anything about multimonitorsupport and dualcore support :(

Dan Duskin said:
Check this site... it will show you a list of all the differences... very easy (and QUICK) to see the differences...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home ... sing2.mspx

...personally... I need support for multiple processors and remote desktop (and several of the other features in pro could become usable to me at any moment).

Tarekith

One nice thing about the Pro version is that you can use the administrative templates when you run gpedit.msc

This way you can remove commands and files you never use from the right click menus, start menu, etc. It's a small issue, probably not worth the added price, but I find it keeps things nice and uncluttered that way.

jcat

Personally I hate home edition, it's like \"Windows Lite\". [-(

But home is fine for your uses AFAIK. Besides, there's probably an upgrade path if you need to go the whole hog later...

Cheers,

jcat

UAD Bundle Month