• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Xpander and XP Pro......?

paulycbus

Please......? Vista has been nothing but a headache for me to administer at work......ie drivers, etc.....why no XP drivers?

I just bought a MacBook Pro today along with the Xpander.....I'm pretty broke now!:) Vista is not that expensive, but I would need to buy a new soundcard and some other stuff just to work with Vista....not to mention that it's a pain in the a**...I am sure that I am not alone in this area. I already have a UAD pci card in my dual 3G Xeon machine and LOVE it, don't like to mix without it! Do I just send the Xpander back and bu a Magma chassis? I am leaning that way......I SO want to mix on my MacBook Pro!!!:)

Are there any plans or hopes for XP support? Most IT pros have been skipping Vista altogether and even Dell and the major pc manufacturers are continuing support for XP. It's not like I am asking for Windows 98 drivers or anything;)

So, am I the only one?

Thanks for any response and sorry to make my first post a gripe.....I love my UAD stuff, but a Magma chassis or some native stuff might be the way I have to go.

mario

today i searched around dsp cards and really would buy a uad expander.
but then i`ve seen that xp is not supported for laptops.

WTF?? :roll:

are you crazy?`win vista is absolutley the bigges shit out there.
:evil: :evil:

please please please > add winxp laptop support.
then i´ll buy this hot box !!!

Chas@Source

Hello, it's not actually UA's fault that the Xpander has to be used with Vista if you're on a PC - it's a Windoze issue :roll: , here's an explanation from UA's Support Department:

"XP's laptops do not allocate enough system resources to the Expresscard slot, specifically there is not enough RAM allocated, and this is a hardware level setting that cannot be adjusted. So, XP laptops refuse to allow the Xpander to install when connected to the Expresscard bus. There are no similar limitations on the PCIe bus, so that is why you can operate an Xpander from a PCIe slot."

#-o

So, no direct help to you guys I'm afraid, but at least you know why the XP laptop option is a no-go :)

Chas

DJSTROBE

Chas@Source said:
Hello, it's not actually UA's fault that the Xpander has to be used with Vista if you're on a PC - it's a Windoze issue :roll: , here's an explanation from UA's Support Department:

"XP's laptops do not allocate enough system resources to the Expresscard slot, specifically there is not enough RAM allocated, and this is a hardware level setting that cannot be adjusted. So, XP laptops refuse to allow the Xpander to install when connected to the Expresscard bus. There are no similar limitations on the PCIe bus, so that is why you can operate an Xpander from a PCIe slot."

#-o

So, no direct help to you guys I'm afraid, but at least you know why the XP laptop option is a no-go :)

Chas
Besides being a musician, I am a computer tech and heres where theres a problem with that posting:

I own an Apple MacBook Pro (The same one Univeral Audio shows in the Xpander adds). It has 3 GB of ram, and is dual booting with both Windows XP Pro SP2 and Apple OSX 10.4.11. The point here is, it is entirely NOT a hardware issue as UA Support claims, because if that WERE the case, then NO operating system would be able to run the Expresscard system properly because whether i Have Vista, XP, OSX, or Linux for that matter, it is all using the same ram, hard drive, motherboard, etc.. So if it is a hardware level setting in XP, that same hardware level setting would exist on any OS. And since it DOES work with Vista and OSX, then it is entirely software related as far the allocation of resources, and a fix could most definably be introduced since newer laptops like mine have more then enough resources in XP to run the Xpander, as they would in Vista or OSX.

I realize that older laptops that might have an Expresscard running a Pentium 4 with 512 megs of ram might not work, but they should create a driver and make a disclaimer that it used "as is" without further support for people who have newer, more powerful laptops. Do this so someone like myself, who bought an Xpander from a place that claimed it works on XP, and now will not take it back because of an "open software" policy aren't left with a 1000.00 paperweight. For that reason alone, Universal Audio should allow people in this situation either a discount or the ability to use their voucher on the Xpanda, and not make someone shell out an additional 100.00 because they WONT, not CANT create a driver for people who use XP, which are 90% of the PC music users.

Cheers,

rydan

It IS a software issue. XP doesn't allocate enough resources to the expresscard slot, as far as I can tell from the UA support response. Mening, it's software, and it's up to microsoft to fix it. (Sounds likely, doesn't it... =/ )

Another question. If you have a MacBook Pro. Why would you want to run XP for music, when you have the best OS in there already, with support for the xpander???

UAD Bundle Month