Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: I just saw this on the BBC - Are we having fun yet?

  1. #1
    Moderator Don Schenk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Anywhere with snow, mountains, ski runs, and a lift!
    Posts
    2,109
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    I just saw this on the BBC - Are we having fun yet?

    Major flaw in millions of Intel chips

    The fix could slow computers by as much as 30%.

    Major flaw in millions of Intel chips revealed - BBC News

    :- Don
    Matt Hepworth likes this.

  2. #2
    Up and Comer
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    PANICK!!

    After immediately powering down my PC, Iíll be continuing communication here on the forum at The Philadelphia Free Library until this issue is resolved.
    Don Schenk likes this.
    Apollo Twin DUO (Silver) TB | UAD-2 Satellite OCTO TB | UAD v9.4 | Pro Tools 12.8.3 | Harrison Mixbus 32C v4 | Intel Core i7-7700K 4.20GHZ |​ GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 | 16GB RAM | Windows 10 | Slate Raven MTi2

  3. #3
    Up and Comer
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, nevermind. Iím back. Itís freezing outside. 🤧
    Myramyd, Gerk and exoslime like this.
    Apollo Twin DUO (Silver) TB | UAD-2 Satellite OCTO TB | UAD v9.4 | Pro Tools 12.8.3 | Harrison Mixbus 32C v4 | Intel Core i7-7700K 4.20GHZ |​ GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 | 16GB RAM | Windows 10 | Slate Raven MTi2

  4. #4
    Experienced UAD User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    World
    Posts
    268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Schenk View Post
    Major flaw in millions of Intel chips

    The fix could slow computers by as much as 30%.

    Major flaw in millions of Intel chips revealed - BBC News

    :- Don
    Apple fixed this in their dec. release
    slamthecrank likes this.

  5. #5
    Moderator Don Schenk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Anywhere with snow, mountains, ski runs, and a lift!
    Posts
    2,109
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolle123 View Post
    Apple fixed this in their dec. release
    So the BBC is a little slow. Ahh, but I didn't upgrade to High Sierra yet. Oh wait, it was the security update back in December. Okay.

    Something strange has been happening on my Mac, and I wonder if it is related to the change. My MBP almost never ran its cooling fan - even if I was playing 60 tracks with UAD as well as native plug-ins on each track. The only things that would cause the fan to run were rendering all tracks to stems of each track simultaneously, and freezing all the tracks at once. Nothing else would make the fan run. In fact the first time it ran I wondered what that sound was.

    Now the fan runs almost all the time, and it just recently started doing that. Hmmm, could that be it?

    :- Don

  6. #6
    Experienced UAD User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    World
    Posts
    268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Schenk View Post
    So the BBC is a little slow. Ahh, but I didn't upgrade to High Sierra yet. Oh wait, it was the security update back in December. Okay....

    :- Don
    No, no itís just hitting the news cycles now and the flaw has been there for some time, so...🙈

    I usally reinstall the OS when I feel the clutter.

  7. #7
    Heavy UAD User Gerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Oakville, ON, Canada
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The one flaw has been there for decades ... starting to see people having real world problems (and slowdowns) after these updates in quite a few situations. The update in December fixed for part of it, the newest update for OSX fixes the other part of it (and is what started causing some apparent issues for some users). This is a tough one and it will affect different things different, but the slowdowns will be real for some things and not noticeable for others. Things that are heavily threaded will see the biggest slowdowns.
    UAD Apollo 8p | Apollo Twin Duo (Silver) TB | UAD Satellite Octo TB | UAD v9.4 | Macbook Pro 15" Retina (2015) | OS X 10.12.6 | Pro Tools 12.7 | Digital Performer 9.5.1 | Logic Pro X 10.3.3 | Genelec 8020a, 8010 | Tascam DM-3200 | Slate Raven MTi2

  8. #8
    Master of the UADiverse Matt Hepworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    UT, USA
    Posts
    7,085
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I hate to be so negative, but I think Apple is jumping up and down with joy at the thought of all the new Mac sales that are coming their way by not patching older versions of MacOS.

    This from a person who currently owns 5 Macs. MS has patched back through Windows 7. That's a lot older than ML (10.8.5), let alone Yosemite, yet not even Sierra is fully patched. Only High Sierra. Ludicrous.
    PTHD> 2x Pro Tools HD4 Accel | 2x Mac Pro 8 Core (16 thread) | 2x Magma Chassis | 24 Ch Apogee Symphony I/O, AVID HD I/O | UAD-2 OCTO | Pro Tools HD 10, HD 12 | Studio One V3 Pro | OSX 10.8.5

    NATIVE> nMP Ashtray/Trashcan Hex Core | OSX 10.10.5| Windows 8.1 Pro | Apollo QUAD "Classic" w/ TB, Apollo Twin DUO | TC Konnekt 48 | Samplitude Pro X | Studio One V3 Pro | SONAR Platinum | Pro Tools 12

  9. #9
    Master of the UADiverse Matt Hepworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    UT, USA
    Posts
    7,085
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerk View Post
    The one flaw has been there for decades ... starting to see people having real world problems (and slowdowns) after these updates in quite a few situations. The update in December fixed for part of it, the newest update for OSX fixes the other part of it (and is what started causing some apparent issues for some users). This is a tough one and it will affect different things different, but the slowdowns will be real for some things and not noticeable for others. Things that are heavily threaded will see the biggest slowdowns.
    The problem is the issue is so public that it is guaranteed there will now be exploits created for the vulnerability. This is the first time ever such a situation has occurred, as far as I'm aware. It's a catastrophic probable outcome. The "bad guys" know that only the latest OSes are patched and they know that millions and millions of computers in the world are now vulnerable to this exploit and that it WON'T be patched for those computers. That's a guaranteed, permanent vulnerability.
    Gerk likes this.
    PTHD> 2x Pro Tools HD4 Accel | 2x Mac Pro 8 Core (16 thread) | 2x Magma Chassis | 24 Ch Apogee Symphony I/O, AVID HD I/O | UAD-2 OCTO | Pro Tools HD 10, HD 12 | Studio One V3 Pro | OSX 10.8.5

    NATIVE> nMP Ashtray/Trashcan Hex Core | OSX 10.10.5| Windows 8.1 Pro | Apollo QUAD "Classic" w/ TB, Apollo Twin DUO | TC Konnekt 48 | Samplitude Pro X | Studio One V3 Pro | SONAR Platinum | Pro Tools 12

  10. #10
    Heavy UAD User Gerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Oakville, ON, Canada
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
    I hate to be so negative, but I think Apple is jumping up and down with joy at the thought of all the new Mac sales that are coming their way by not patching older versions of MacOS.

    This from a person who currently owns 5 Macs. MS has patched back through Windows 7. That's a lot older than ML (10.8.5), let alone Yosemite, yet not even Sierra is fully patched. Only High Sierra. Ludicrous.
    Yes not to mention the fact that this almost basically enforces retirement of all of my EOL macs, which get used daily and some I rely on. I think it means that some of them are going to actively be blocked from any sort of internet access in fact It's the only safe way of keeping them working.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
    The problem is the issue is so public that it is guaranteed there will now be exploits created for the vulnerability. This is the first time ever such a situation has occurred, as far as I'm aware. It's a catastrophic probable outcome. The "bad guys" know that only the latest OSes are patched and they know that millions and millions of computers in the world are now vulnerable to this exploit and that it WON'T be patched for those computers. That's a guaranteed, permanent vulnerability.
    Yep exactly, I can see lots of these bad guys just rubbing their hands together with a gleam in their eyes and all of us who don't want to or can't upgrade to the latest (which is having issues all around apparently) left with time bombs on their hands. Due to the nature of how this exploit works it's a very very bad thing. Like we might as well all just post a web page with all of our private information and credit card numbers now to get it over with bad.
    UAD Apollo 8p | Apollo Twin Duo (Silver) TB | UAD Satellite Octo TB | UAD v9.4 | Macbook Pro 15" Retina (2015) | OS X 10.12.6 | Pro Tools 12.7 | Digital Performer 9.5.1 | Logic Pro X 10.3.3 | Genelec 8020a, 8010 | Tascam DM-3200 | Slate Raven MTi2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. For a tiny bit of fun
    By mpayne0 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th June 2017, 09:27 PM
  2. Fun For The Day: The One UA Plug You Regret Buying...
    By Suntower in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 18th October 2007, 01:32 PM
  3. This is the best thread ever ....have fun !!!
    By midislut in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 9th October 2005, 09:45 AM
  4. Check this out and have fun with it!!!!
    By Big Harpe in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15th September 2005, 06:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •