Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blinkofani

Thread: UAD 9.3, ENGL amps and Logic problem?

  1. #1
    Up and Comer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    UAD 9.3, ENGL amps and Logic problem?

    Hi,
    First, formal hello as it's my first post but a long time lurker. I've been using UAD plugins for the last 5-6 years and Apollo Twin for the last 3. Without any problems whatsover, might I add.

    Not anymore, unfortunately!! I guess there's a lot of Logic Pro X users over here so that's the best place to ask. I own the ENGL E765RT and it's been updated in the new 9.3 update. Since the update I'm seeing a 1 second delay when I press either Play or Play From Start key commands in Logic if a E765 is in use. I tried the new Savage and also started the E646 demo to test and they all do the same to my session.

    If I remove it and replace it with my 2203 or Metal Amp Room plugins, everything's back to normal. Tried in different projects to discard the corrupted file possibility.

    Is anybody seeing this also? Create a cycle zone of 8 or 16 bars in a project, press Play so Logic will start playback at the start of the cycle zone, press play again a couple of seconds later. When I do this, the audio stops, the playhead continue to move for a second and then playback starts back at the start of the cycle zone. Remove the ENGL amp sim and do the same. Now, when you press the Play button, playback instantly goes to the start of the zone and playback resume.

    Thanks for your time!!

    Blink

  2. #2
    Master of the UADiverse Matt Hepworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    UT, USA
    Posts
    6,510
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Welcome! Very interesting. Did UAD v9.2 show the same behaviour?
    PTHD> 2x Pro Tools HD4 Accel | 2x Mac Pro 8 Core (16 thread) | 2x Magma Chassis | Apogee Symphony I/O, AD16X, and AVID HD I/O | 2x UAD-2 OCTO, Solo | Pro Tools HD 10, HD 12 | Studio One V3 Pro | OSX 10.8.5

    NATIVE> nMP Ashtray/Trashcan Hex Core | OSX 10.10.4| Windows 8.1 Pro | Apollo QUAD "Classic" w/ TB, Apollo Twin DUO | TC Konnekt 48 | Samplitude Pro X | Studio One V3 Pro | SONAR Platinum | Pro Tools 12

  3. #3
    Up and Comer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
    Welcome! Very interesting. Did UAD v9.2 show the same behaviour?
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. Well, you know what? It does the same thing with 9.2!! I have a backup system on an external HD with 10.12.5 and UAD 9.2 and it does the same. It's been a while since I used the ENGL plugin because I prefer the Marshall 2203 and I wanted to test the new version with Unison.

    So, same behaviour here. If I switch to the Marshall, the problem goes away. Mmm, that's strange. I'm almost hoping someone comes here and says it's the same on his/er system. If not, that will be a hard one to troubleshoot!!
    Thanks.

    Blink

  4. #4
    Experienced UAD User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    UAD 9.3, ENGL amps and Logic problem?

    I am not seeing it here on my system with logic 10.3.2. OS 10.12.6.

    I have both host compatibility boxes checked along with extra buffering in my configuration.

    Running 32 buffers, 0 for record delay, auto, small, playback and live, high precision, and rewire off.

    To clarify, I don't sense any delay in startup and when I press the space bar to stop the transport stops immediately.

    If you want you can post the session, no audio, and I can try seeing if that changes my results.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by jjnssn; 12th August 2017 at 05:05 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________

    W10 64-bit / E5-1650v3 / 64 GB ECC / nVidia P1000 / X99-E WS / ASUS TB-EX3
    PT12.8 HDX / OMNI / HD I/O 16x16 / DIGIGRID DLS / Twin MKII Quad / Apollo 8 Quad / Octo Satellite

    2013 MBP RETINA / PT12.8 HD / 10.12.6 / 16 GB / Twin MKII Quad / Apollo 8 Quad / Octo Satellite

  5. #5
    Up and Comer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjnssn View Post
    I am not seeing it here on my system with logic 10.3.2. OS 10.12.6.

    I have both host compatibility boxes checked along with extra buffering in my configuration.

    Running 32 buffers, 0 for record delay, auto, small, playback and live, high precision, and rewire off.

    To clarify, I don't sense any delay in startup and when I press the space bar to stop the transport stops immediately.

    If you want you can post the session, no audio, and I can try seeing if that changes my results.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks for checking it out. I only have the extra buffering checked. I'll try the other ones. The problem I have is more while playback is going, pressing play again to return playback to the start of the cycle zone. When doing so, the playhead continue to move for a second without anything sounding and then goes to the start of the cycle and playback resumes.

    I find it strange that using my other UAD amp sims it doesn't happen. Only the ENGL ones!! Well, that will be a nice one to troubleshoot!! Thanks again for checking it out for me.

    Blink
    lobo12 likes this.

  6. #6
    Experienced UAD User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkofani View Post
    Thanks for checking it out. I only have the extra buffering checked. I'll try the other ones. The problem I have is more while playback is going, pressing play again to return playback to the start of the cycle zone. When doing so, the playhead continue to move for a second without anything sounding and then goes to the start of the cycle and playback resumes.

    I find it strange that using my other UAD amp sims it doesn't happen. Only the ENGL ones!! Well, that will be a nice one to troubleshoot!! Thanks again for checking it out for me.

    Blink
    When you say pressing "play"; please clarify what you are pressing, Keyboard, GUI?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    __________________________________________________ ________

    W10 64-bit / E5-1650v3 / 64 GB ECC / nVidia P1000 / X99-E WS / ASUS TB-EX3
    PT12.8 HDX / OMNI / HD I/O 16x16 / DIGIGRID DLS / Twin MKII Quad / Apollo 8 Quad / Octo Satellite

    2013 MBP RETINA / PT12.8 HD / 10.12.6 / 16 GB / Twin MKII Quad / Apollo 8 Quad / Octo Satellite

  7. #7
    Up and Comer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, checking those other boxes doesn't change anything. That's really weird, how come it only happens with the 3 ENGL amp sims and not the other ones? Doesn't make sense. Now, trying in another project, when I insert an ENGL amp I get error 93 and all UAD plugins are disabled!!! I think my system is messed up good. Time to make a clean install, me thinks.

    Blink

  8. #8
    Up and Comer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjnssn View Post
    When you say pressing "play"; please clarify what you are pressing, Keyboard, GUI?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I press Play with the computer keyboard, but I tried with the Play button on the GUI and get the same. It's when the project plays back and I press Play(again) to restart playback at the original position. The second I press Play, sounds stop but the playhead continues for a second and then goes to the original position and playback restart. Hope it's clear.

    Blink

  9. #9
    Experienced UAD User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Using the Enter/Return key brings the head back to the start of the loop, which is what I use. GUI green play button also returns to start of loop. Similar result, no delay on my MBPr.

    I do not use Logic a lot, so you might know more about pre and post tape roll settings or count ins.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    __________________________________________________ ________

    W10 64-bit / E5-1650v3 / 64 GB ECC / nVidia P1000 / X99-E WS / ASUS TB-EX3
    PT12.8 HDX / OMNI / HD I/O 16x16 / DIGIGRID DLS / Twin MKII Quad / Apollo 8 Quad / Octo Satellite

    2013 MBP RETINA / PT12.8 HD / 10.12.6 / 16 GB / Twin MKII Quad / Apollo 8 Quad / Octo Satellite

  10. #10
    Up and Comer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjnssn View Post
    Using the Enter/Return key brings the head back to the start of the loop, which is what I use. GUI green play button also returns to start of loop. Similar result, no delay on my MBPr.

    I do not use Logic a lot, so you might know more about pre and post tape roll settings or count ins.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Ok, so it's my system. Doesn't surprise me really. I've had the whole bunch of error messages lately( -38, -50 and -93) so I think I'm overdue for a clean install!! Still, I find it strange that it's only the ENGL ones that do that. Anyway, going away for a couple of days now, it's gonna be good for my peace of mind( human clean install!!). Thanks again for taking the time to check this out.

    Blink

Similar Threads

  1. UAD Engl vs. AmpliTube Engl?
    By Eric Dahlberg in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 13th May 2014, 01:56 PM
  2. ENGL Amps Demo...no sound...
    By B.R. in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18th August 2013, 04:16 PM
  3. Logic 9.1.6 and UAD Problem?
    By profkojo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 3rd January 2012, 12:25 PM
  4. UAD-2 Preset Problem with logic
    By Captive in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th September 2008, 01:56 AM
  5. Logic/UAD Midi Sync Problem..
    By jonnypowell in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2nd June 2006, 09:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •