Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: True Thunderbolt 3 connection to Win 10 64B PC?

  1. #11
    Master of the UADiverse Matt Hepworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    UT, USA
    Posts
    6,707
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tm3072 View Post
    Technology doesn’t need to be frustrating. There’s elegance in simplicity. Don’t underestimate its selling point.
    Well said! Unfortunately, we're not near that point. Everything USB-C requires an adapter. Video, TB, USB, FW, power....
    DanButsu and Serenity like this.
    PTHD> 2x Pro Tools HD4 Accel | 2x Mac Pro 8 Core (16 thread) | 2x Magma Chassis | 24 Ch Apogee Symphony I/O, AVID HD I/O | UAD-2 OCTO | Pro Tools HD 10, HD 12 | Studio One V3 Pro | OSX 10.8.5

    NATIVE> nMP Ashtray/Trashcan Hex Core | OSX 10.10.5| Windows 8.1 Pro | Apollo QUAD "Classic" w/ TB, Apollo Twin DUO | TC Konnekt 48 | Samplitude Pro X | Studio One V3 Pro | SONAR Platinum | Pro Tools 12

  2. #12
    Practically a UAD Expert
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,835
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tm3072 View Post
    Ok then if not for bandwidth then just simple ease of use?.
    I totally get your point. But things are not moving so quickly in the semi/pro audio world. I mean the Focusrite Saffire range is still being sold and those are Firewire (which can be used with a Thunderbolt adaptor). It's almost seven years since Thunderbolt was introduced and it's only in the recent couple of years that we have seen a wider selection of TB audio interfaces on the market. Likely the adaption of TB3 will be faster but you'll probably have to wait around a few years before you'll see a wide selection of products to choose from.

    So if you are in need of an interface right now it doesn't seem wise to me to have TB3 as your main criteria, especially considering the minor benefits it would bring. Instead be happy that you'll be able to reap the benefits of Thunderbolt.

    It does suck that Apple opted to use the Mini DisplayPort connector instead of the USB-C connector that was the original plan. I get why they made that decision at the time, but it wasn't very forward thinking of them.
    Last edited by Serenity; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:01 PM.
    DanButsu likes this.

  3. #13
    Up and Comer
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Need for whatever bandwidth notwithstanding, UAD went from Firewire to TB1 to TB2 and there is no reason to think they won't follow with TB3 sometime in 2018 if they release a refreshed Apollo line.

  4. #14
    Experienced UAD User
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Arlington, Texas
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Matt, there is one reason to have your interface TB3 that has nothing to do with the need for the audio interface bandwidth or even convenient plug and play.

    Some devices on the Thunderbolt bus will require the bandwidth TB3 provides in order to work properly. Here are some examples: Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box and Sonnet's eGFX Puck. They will need to have only TB3 devices upstream of them on the bus.

    Yes, a MBP or iMac with TB3 has two ports. But do you really want to have all of your TB2 devices on one bus? Or will you pay to upgrade your SSD enclosures, TB hubs, etc. to TB3?
    Apollo 8 Duo (BF), Apollo Quad SF, iMac i7 Quad, Logic Pro X, Studio One 3 Pro

    Gibson SG, Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE
    Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20, 68 Bandmaster

    Mackie Onyx 1640, Event SP-8, Kemper Profiling Amp, Roland VG-99

  5. #15
    Moderator DanButsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    4,477
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yeah. Makes sense for that particular situation
    Apollo QUAD Silverface TB | OCTO/Magma TB | UAD v9.2 | Mac mini 2011 i7 Quad Sever | OS X 10.8.5 | Pro Tools 12.5.2 | Studio One 3.5 Pro | Harrison Mixbus 32C v4 | Amphion one18 driven by a Vecteur A6 HiFi Amp | Adam Sub10 | Subpac M2x | 32-Channel Soundcraft Ghost | Sony APR5003v 1/4" two-track Reel to Reel | Roland RE-200 Space Echo | Sample of my work: dansoundsmith - Soundcloud

  6. #16
    Practically a UAD Expert
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,835
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scratch17 View Post
    Some devices on the Thunderbolt bus will require the bandwidth TB3 provides in order to work properly. Here are some examples: Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box and Sonnet's eGFX Puck. They will need to have only TB3 devices upstream of them on the bus.

    Yes, a MBP or iMac with TB3 has two ports. But do you really want to have all of your TB2 devices on one bus? Or will you pay to upgrade your SSD enclosures, TB hubs, etc. to TB3?
    It should not be an issue if you put your TB2 devices at the end of the TB3 chain. Which would make sense anyway since you would need two adaptors otherwise. And you can't have the Twin and the Sonnet eGFX devices on the same chain anyhow since both of them need to be at the end.
    Last edited by Serenity; 1 Week Ago at 11:51 PM.

  7. #17
    Experienced UAD User
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Arlington, Texas
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @Serenity said:

    It should not be an issue if you put your TB2 devices at the end of the TB3 chain. Which would make sense anyway since you would need two adaptors otherwise. And you can't have the Twin and the Sonnet eGFX devices on the same chain anyhow since both of them need to be at the end.
    Correct regarding the Twin because of the single TB port. That is one of the two reasons I will never buy a Twin. The other is the lack of an ADAT output.

    However, the Apollo, Apollo 8, Apollo 8P and Apollo 16 could be placed anywhere on a TB bus, because they all have 2 TB2 ports.

    All I was attempting to illuminate with my post is that technology moves on. At some point, UA will be able to source TB3 for less than TB2. In the meantime, for those who want to use certain TB3 devices, a single TB bus for all non-TB3 devices is a big limitation in my opinion.
    Apollo 8 Duo (BF), Apollo Quad SF, iMac i7 Quad, Logic Pro X, Studio One 3 Pro

    Gibson SG, Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE
    Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20, 68 Bandmaster

    Mackie Onyx 1640, Event SP-8, Kemper Profiling Amp, Roland VG-99

  8. #18
    Practically a UAD Expert
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,835
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scratch17 View Post
    @Serenity said:



    Correct regarding the Twin because of the single TB port. That is one of the two reasons I will never buy a Twin. The other is the lack of an ADAT output.

    However, the Apollo, Apollo 8, Apollo 8P and Apollo 16 could be placed anywhere on a TB bus, because they all have 2 TB2 ports.

    All I was attempting to illuminate with my post is that technology moves on. At some point, UA will be able to source TB3 for less than TB2. In the meantime, for those who want to use certain TB3 devices, a single TB bus for all non-TB3 devices is a big limitation in my opinion.
    In the real world though, how many thunderbolt devices do people have? How many people will use an eGFX box and an Apollo and be bothered by the fact that they need to use two ports? I could probably count them on my both hands. You can't please everyone. And you could just as well blame Sonnet for not having TB throughput. That would have solved the problem.

    We can sit around and wait for the stars to align and reveal the perfect setup or we can make the best use of what's available and deal with the fact that it will never be perfect.
    You can be sure that UA will switch to TB3 eventually, but as I wrote earlier it's no rush as it's not that wide spread yet. Hopefully we will be able to rely on USB-C/TB3 for some time to come now so these kind of situations become more rare.
    DanButsu likes this.

  9. #19
    Experienced UAD User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the post Mat Hepworth about TH1 being more than capable of doing what ever we need to do - TH2 / TH3 = > TH 1 so no problems at all.

    Some PC Windows motherboards do have TH3 @ 40 Gb/s Gigabyte X99 Designare is example of this - If a motherboard supports PCI-e GEN 3 x4 speed lanes via an x16 slot with TH card it should be totally TH3 @ 40 Gb/s but if the PCI-e x16 size slot is PCI-e GEN 2 @ x4 speed lanes it will be half so will be 20 Gb/s

    Just having this available on PC is amazing - Some with integrated TH into motherboard and some via TH card

  10. #20
    UAD User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tm3072 View Post
    Ok then if not for bandwidth then just simple ease of use? If I plan on plugging an expensive piece of hardware into a Windows motherboard that doesnít have a TB2 connection, I need an adapter. Itís like video standards: VGA, DVI, HDMI, Video port and the monitor doesnít match the computer youíre trying to connect it to. Imagine every time you go to plug an electrical appliance into a power socket only to find the the socket was European.

    With USB 3.1 type C and TB3 at least sharing the same plug type, there interchangeability between Apple and Windows platforms. With all this talk about backwards compatibility between TB2 and TB3, one would still need an adapter.

    Technology doesnít need to be frustrating. Thereís elegance in simplicity. Donít underestimate its selling point.
    I agree, all i really want with my apollo 8 is a Thunderbolt 3 TB3 connection over the new standard of USB-C

    You can do this universal audio. Please allow us to buy a card that replaces the thunderbolt 2 card with a Thunderbolt 3 USB-C connector.

    Please no stupid adapter!

    The Kanex TB3 - TB2 has been discontinued.

    This leaves only the Startech with PC and the Apple with Mac

    Im waiting here to buy this card or new updated apollo with better conversion and USB-C output

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. which cable for thunderbolt connection PC (USB-C) to Apoolo 8 ?
    By TheHillsHaveEars in forum Apollo Interfaces
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3 Weeks Ago, 04:42 AM
  2. Thunderbolt/Data connection standards
    By tm3072 in forum Wants & Wishes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th October 2017, 08:36 AM
  3. is the Apollo 8 a Thunderbolt 2 or 3 connection?
    By Kero in forum Apollo Interfaces
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11th April 2017, 01:11 AM
  4. Apollo 16 Thunderbolt connection issue
    By dylanb in forum Support & Troubleshooting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31st May 2015, 11:09 AM
  5. Noob question: Thunderbolt cable connection
    By Davelong in forum Apollo Interfaces
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th January 2015, 02:12 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •