Can the OX be used in conjunction with real microphones?

tzurby

I have a very good (though old) AD/DA converter, a LakePeople ADDAC F45 (has SPDIF ins and outs, wordclock). I would like to record two amps with real microphones in conjunction with the OX (which I have), without any unnecessary conversion. So, I would need an audio interface with two SPDIF inputs, right?
Is this possible? OX has no wordclock.
Right now, I go directly with the optical cable of the OX into a mid 2012 MacBook pro. If I buy an audio interface with SPDIF, would this work?
I did not find anything on this in any forum. However, I found this video, where the OX is used in parallel to miking and recording the amp.

UniversalAudio

Official UA Representative
I have a very good (though old) AD/DA converter, a LakePeople ADDAC F45 (has SPDIF ins and outs, wordclock). I would like to record two amps with real microphones in conjunction with the OX (which I have), without any unnecessary conversion. So, I would need an audio interface with two SPDIF inputs, right?
Is this possible? OX has no wordclock.
Right now, I go directly with the optical cable of the OX into a mid 2012 MacBook pro. If I buy an audio interface with SPDIF, would this work?
I did not find anything on this in any forum. However, I found this video, where the OX is used in parallel to miking and recording the amp.
yes, but you have to line up the audio in post since they will for sure have had different time paths.

I use Auto-Align for this.

BTW, their forthcoming V2 plugin (I saw it at AES) is amazing, looking fwd to it.

woodstovestudios

yes, but you have to line up the audio in post since they will for sure have had different time paths.

I use Auto-Align for this.

BTW, their forthcoming V2 plugin (I saw it at AES) is amazing, looking fwd to it.
Question about Auto-Align. Given two tracks for the 2 mics used on an amp, or for an Ox track and a DI track, do you group them and put the plug in both track inserts? Thanks...Peter

sirthought

Established Member
Question about Auto-Align. Given two tracks for the 2 mics used on an amp, or for an Ox track and a DI track, do you group them and put the plug in both track inserts? Thanks...Peter
You have to put the plugin on whichever tracks you are trying to align with one another. One track will be the guide and the software aligns the other track to work with the guide.

woodstovestudios

You have to put the plugin on whichever tracks you are trying to align with one another. One track will be the guide and the software aligns the other track to work with the guide.
thanks- just got the demo so I see how it works. You select the track that will be the reference as send and the other receives. Looks really good!

UniversalAudio

Official UA Representative
You pick which track is "master" and send to an internal bus to the "slave" track/s.

In V2, this is all automatic, no user input is needed.

UAD Bundle Month