CPU usage skyrockets after latest SPARK update

Noisembryo

Hi,

Some technical specs first:

Windows 10 64-bit, all latest updates
Ryzen 5 3600 / 32 GB RAM, BIOS up to date
MOTU M2 - latest drivers
Cubase 12 - latest update

As soon as I open any project that has SPARK plugin on my CPU usage skyrockets to 96% and it my makes my DAW literally unusable. As soon as I hit play I hear nothing but cracks and pops. Completely closing the project in Cubase 12 still has the CPU at 96%, I have to completely exit the DAW to make CPU return to normal. Everything was working fine before latest additions (Century and Oxide) and if I open any project that has NO SPARK plugins it works without any problems.

Safe to say that SPARK is completely unusable right now for me.

UniversalAudio

Official UA Representative
Hi,

Some technical specs first:

Windows 10 64-bit, all latest updates
Ryzen 5 3600 / 32 GB RAM, BIOS up to date
MOTU M2 - latest drivers
Cubase 12 - latest update

As soon as I open any project that has SPARK plugin on my CPU usage skyrockets to 96% and it my makes my DAW literally unusable. As soon as I hit play I hear nothing but cracks and pops. Completely closing the project in Cubase 12 still has the CPU at 96%, I have to completely exit the DAW to make CPU return to normal. Everything was working fine before latest additions (Century and Oxide) and if I open any project that has NO SPARK plugins it works without any problems.

Safe to say that SPARK is completely unusable right now for me.
Be sure to get a ticket open with Support. Post the # here please.
https://u.audio/support

gmontano

FWIW - I just tried this on Cubase 12, Windows 11 with my Apollo x4 set to 32 samples.

barely any load. Loaded API Vision, hitsville reverb and eq

What sample rate are you running?

Attachments

Playtimer

I had the same high CPU usage and spikes with latest UADx update. There is also a problem when I unload UADx plugin from the DAW it still takes CPU.
First posted on Reaper forum where I saw more people had the same issue. Cockos devs managed to iron some things out quickly on their side, but beyond that - there is definitely some strange CPU usage behaviour in latest update for Windows.

EDIT: Opened a ticket with support about it

Last edited:

eldondo

I have the same problem here after the last Spark update with the high CPU (100%) load. Even with no loaded UAD Spark plugin.

2 days ago I opened a support ticket (693161)

Windows 10 (latest update)
i5 10400F
Cubase 12 Pro

Last edited:

fjanks

Same problem here, at first I thought it's due to my previous problems with GUI lags, I've notified help desk about new problem in a support ticket #679990.

Noisembryo

Pol C

Same here. CPU load extremely high on every instance. The CPU load stays if I remove the plugins.
Windows 11 and Reaper.
I opened the ticket #693943

Pol C

I've just noticed the CPU spikes when a new UADx plugin is loaded, but if I load another instance of the same plugin again, then the CPU load for this last one is the "expected".
For example:
I load a Neve1073, the CPU rises to 23%. If I remove the instance the CPU load stays on 23%. I load a Studer, 45%. I load an API2500,, 71%. I remove all of them, CPU stays on 71%.
If I load another Studer, or Neve or API 2500, the CPU load only rises to a less than 1%, so, 71.4%.
But then I load a Brigade Chorus, for example, and CPU rises again to 90%. I remove every FX, CPU stays on 90%

I'm not sure how this info could be relevant, but maybe gives a hint to someone to figure out what's going on with this update.

Pol C

Hi all,
Just letting you know that Support is tracking this issue. I have submitted all these ticket #s to the right agent.
Glad to hear.
Nevertheless, I really think we should be able to get a version of a previous version of the plugins. Getting exposed to a potential "non able to work" situation isn't a desirable scenario.
This could be done within the ua connect itself, via some repository or receiving the files through the ticket support. I'm sure there are ways to do it, to avoid having to reschedule sessions, deliveries, and loosing days of work, like many of us are right now.

JamesNorth

Hall of Fame Member
I just did this test on my Mac with Cubase 12 Pro and Studio One.

The chain on a single channel with a drum loop WAV file imported was: 1073, Studer, 2500, Century Strip, Hitsville EQ, Brigade Chorus.

Cubase: 27% CPU in DAW meter
Studio One: 16% CPU in DAW meter.

Running AS native mode with VST3 versions.

For one, that's odd ... (so I'm even happier that I changed!) ... but no overloads or anything like that.

Maybe it's Windows only?

shatzer

Established Member
I’m having trouble with the last updates (don’t know if it was the last Luna, UADx, or UAD update as I did them all around the same time)
But I can barely use about three virtual instruments before Luna craps out and starts popping and restarting the session. Even if it’s only three virtual instruments total in the session. With more tracks it’s even worse.
I’m on a 2018 i7 Mac mini 32GB ram.

Playtimer

Maybe it's Windows only?
I do suspect this mostly affects Windows users... There were no issues as I recall before latest UADx update and now it's totally different story.

Support emailed me back with few things to try out (which I did) - mostly related to Windows scaling and updating/settings.

Unfortunatelly - no change. After system restart and testing UADx plugins, CPU usage is still extremely high and UADx plug-ins still take CPU power after unloading from DAW(s).

I suspect this is a bug introduced in latest UADx plug-ins update which needs to be adressed.

Dingoman

Hi i have the same problem in Studio One 6 on Windows 10.
Less than 10 plugin instances and my cpu is maxing out, and it doesn't release the cpu when removing the plugins from project.
Cpu meter in S1 looks kinda normal.

Is it possible to roll back the update?

I've opened a ticket.

Noisembryo

I do suspect this mostly affects Windows users... There were no issues as I recall before latest UADx update and now it's totally different story.

Support emailed me back with few things to try out (which I did) - mostly related to Windows scaling and updating/settings.

Unfortunatelly - no change. After system restart and testing UADx plugins, CPU usage is still extremely high and UADx plug-ins still take CPU power after unloading from DAW(s).

I suspect this is a bug introduced in latest UADx plug-ins update which needs to be adressed.
I had similar answer from support, to try reinstall iLok / UA Connect and check scaling options and Webview2. Unfortunately didn't help.

Pol C

Same behaviour on Samplitude. I've asked several times for the previous version of the plugins also. The support staff assured and insisted there's no way or mechanism to do that. That's a pity because this would be an easy way of being able to keep working while the issues are being solved.

Playtimer

Same behaviour on Samplitude. I've asked several times for the previous version of the plugins also. The support staff assured and insisted there's no way or mechanism to do that. That's a pity because this would be an easy way of being able to keep working while the issues are being solved.
What's worrying is that support says:
the vast majority of Windows users are not reporting issues.
It seems to be something specifically associated with a few localised installations.

The number of users reporting issues is very very small in relation to the installed total.
I don't know the exact numbers, but I am sure there are a lot more affected users than opened tickets and forum threads.

This is a coding bug which needs to be fixed with another UADx plugins update.
Otherwise I see no reason to keep my Spark subscription active anymore.

UAD Bundle Month